Thinner This Year
With countless diets telling Americans to cut out this and eat that and fitness plans touting that you only have to work out three days a week for 20 minutes a day, one would think that we should be a nation of svelte people. It's so easy! But two-thirds of adults in the U.S. are either overweight or clinically obese. Many people are lugging around an extra 15-20 pounds, which doesn't sound so bad. After all, a lot of people carry a little extra padding around the middle, right? Wrong! Excess fat can lead to serious health issues and illnesses like heart disease, diabetes and more.
As seen in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and on CBS THIS MORNING, MSNBC, DR. OZ and many other local media sources:
THINNER THIS YEAR: A Diet and Exercise Program for Living Strong, Fit, and Sexy (Workman: January 2013) is the solution. It's the highly-anticipated follow-up program to the New York Times bestseller, Younger Next Year, which has sold over one million copies since its publication in 2003. The promise in this new book is losing 25 lbs in six months and keeping it off FOR LIFE using the crucial combination of diet AND exercise. Chris Crowley and Dr. Sacheck teamed up to give you the candid truth about the journey. It's not going to be easy, but for those who follow the program and make key lifestyle changes, the book guarantees that they will feel amazing, live longer, and live better.
Chris Crowley, the memorable patient everyone loved from Younger Next Year, is back with his hilarious, inspiring, no-holds-barred account of his journey through the program, making for a diet and fitness book that is fresh and readable. And now that he's closing in on 80, his success is all that more impressive. He has teamed up with Jen Sacheck, Ph.D., a nutrition scientist at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University. She not only talks the talk but walks the walk as a certified strength and conditioning specialist, runner, former national-level rower (who still competes), and a mom of two! While Younger Next Year told readers why they should stop eating junk and start exercising, THINNER THIS YEAR tells them how.
Just a few of the many things readers will learn in THINNER THIS YEAR:
- Debunking the myth of a perfect food. There is no such thing. We need to eat a well-balanced diet, and yes, that does include carbs (from whole grains and produce) as well as healthy fats (from foods like fish and avocados). Jen explains the essential roles these nutrients play in how your body works properly.
- If you do not exercise after age 30, you will lose 3-5% of your muscle mass per decade. After 60, that number decreases. Don't want to be the old lady or old man shuffling down the street with a cane? If you work out, you won't be! Chris still skis, bikes, and rows, and he's almost 80.
- Junk food is addictive. Literally! The solid fats and added sugars (SoFAS) that are pumped into processed foods hook you like heroin. Addictive substances rewire your brain to increase cravings and drive you to satisfy them.
- Inflammation: the source for almost all of the "bad" that is going on in your body. Probably sounds like a familiar term, but what is it really? It is actually limited mobility, illness, etc. Fat cells send out inflammatory signals, and muscle cells send out anti-inflammatory signals: which one do you want more of?
- Tips for how to gradually ease into the diet and fitness plan if you aren't active or eating well already. That is, "Sink the Carriers!" Or in other words, take the hardest thing to do or give up and do it first. The rest will seem easy!
There is also a menu with two weeks' worth of suggested meals, snack ideas, simple and healthy recipes to start readers off on the right track, and a chart that lists nutrient-rich foods and what portions are acceptable so you can make the right decisions on your own. Clear, concise, and fully-illustrated exercises, including essential warm-ups and "The Sacred 25," make it seem like you have your own personal trainer beside you, showing you exactly how to perform the moves for maximum results. No gym membership required!
With energetic and witty wisdom from Chris and the nitty-gritty scientific facts from Dr. Sacheck, THINNER THIS YEAR is the only guide for anyone who wants to lose weight, keep it off, and stay fit and healthy forever. Regardless of age, anyone can begin this revolutionary program and be on the path to a better life.